Dirt.Adventure.Peace.Laughter.Life.Simplicity.Thought.Risk.Sky.Friends.Praise.Mud.Joy.Beauty.Fun. {a travel journal}
Monday, September 13, 2010
McLeod's Daughters
If you know me well you'll know that ever since the very first episode aired I have had a deep longing to be a McLeod's Daughter. I have followed the series, carefully ensuring that nothing else clashed with the Wednesday night 7:30pm time slot in the early days and then later revisiting the drama and adventure by hiring out the complete series on DVD with my housemates, critiquing the characters decisions in love and farming and dreaming about a life on Drover's Run! Claire and Tess clearly had it all!
With McLeod's being such an amazing show I was not surprised to learn that repeats air several times a week here in Canada and I can not only get my fix of the Aussie accent but once again dream of being a McLeod's daughter. The strength of the female spirit, the community of the bush, riding off across the land on horseback, and the extremely high likelihood of running into your attractive male neighbors while a checking a fence. McLeod's daughter's (while biologically or some far off cousin of a cousin) fight for their land and heritage, sticks together and persevere... often through droughts, hostage attempts, bankruptcy, unwanted land development, car crashes, rolled tractors, bombs, broken windmills, stolen livestock, numerous mobsters and endless romances.
While I may never be a true McLeod's daughter I have realised however how much I long for the country life, the community of a small town and the open spaces of being on the land. I have now been in Canada for three months and it scares me how much I LOVE being not in the city. I look forward to hitting up Hay River and I try not to think about the possibility that I may never live in Melbourne again, who knows eh?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment