For the last 4 days I was lucky enough to tag along with a group of new friends to their family's cabin on Shuswap (pron shoe-swap) Lake in southern British Columbia. It's located halfway between Calgary and Vancouver and you travel through the Rockie mountains and through spectacular scenery around Baff, Yoho and Galcier national parks. So many huge mountains in every direction. Its about a 6-7 hour drive and a very popular holiday location as it's massive in size with plenty of room for cabins, houseboats and skiing. I worked out that I think I listened to a total of about 10 hours of counrty music on the drive their and back. (You know you've listed to a lot when you start to recognize the songs and despite the long playlists I can still confidently say that I'm not a fan. I think a future blog on country music is in order. When it's not painful its hilarious)
The forest around the lake is quite dense and therefore the only way to get to the cabins is by boat access. The lake reminded me alot of lake Eildon in Victoria except for the fact that mountains tower every side of the lake and there was snow on the tips of the mountains in the distance. While it was a little cooler than we all would have liked it's truly a beautiful spot and the water was so glassy and smooth at times. However at one point we traveled about 40 minutes by boat in very choppy water for some good cliff-jumping but when we got there most of us were too cold to give it a shot. There very a few brave souls tho!
Thursday July 1 was Canada Day so we all huddled in the boat and braved the cold, wind and rain to watch the fireworks over the lake closer to the town. It was an impressive display. For the rest of the weekend we hung around the cabin, read, had campfires, threw rocks, did stuff behind the boat when it was warm enough and lay in the sun when it was out.
Apart from being such a beautiful spot I love the names of the places in the area.. there was Sicamous (pronounced sick-a-moose), Salmon Arm, Kamloops, The Skunk Cabbage Boardwalk and closer to Calgary is Deerfoot Trail.
Overall a great weekend and I look forward to heading back into the mountains again to take a closer look.


No comments:
Post a Comment