Saturday, June 26, 2010

Chicks and CostCo

In three hours two others and I unloaded about 30,000 baby chicks at a local chicken farm. The chicks were one day old, the shed was like a sauna, and you finished up smelling like chicken poop but it was surprisingly so fun! Our job involved transferring the chicks from the crates into the cages and counting out the right amount of chicks for each cage. At first you start off being nice and delicate with the chicks transferring them into the cage gently, but by the end you are pretty much picking up hand fulls of chicks and chucking them in. They are so cute and fluffy (and very robust) and you can grab about three or four in your hand at once. They keep your reflexes in check as every now and then one would escape from my hands and fly (or fall) through the air.  Loved it!




Yesterday I went to a Superstore, a Mall and a CostCo. I think I may have shopped more in one day than I have in a whole year (maybe that's a slight exaggeration). CostCo is definitely an experience, complete with a hot dog shop and ice cream stand. The great thing about CostCo though is that they have so many taste testers along the aisles that you won't even need to buy lunch, do a few round trips and you'll be set. I managed to score lobster ravioli, guacamole and crackers, anti-pesto nibbles and juice. Probably isn't wise to have that combination of foods on a regular basis! Everything in CostoCo is super-sized and packaged in bulk. It's where you go for cheap books if you need 5litres of Listerine mouthwash or 2kgs of Peanut Butter. There is definitely massive savings to be had however I wonder how much of it goes to waste when people figure out that they won't actually use 200 tins of canned tuna.

I also found it kinda funny that companies will put the term "Aussie" on their products. I've seen it now on quite a few different items. Marketing research must have shown that "Aussie" sells. Anything Australian must definitely be awesome!!

1 comment:

  1. How CUTE are those chickies!!! And maybe you should bring me back some 'Sydney Smooth' hair stuff - could do with some smoothing!!! Funny, I noticed that in USA too, all the stuff with 'Aussie' on it - far more than you see in Oz! I noticed it especially on most brands of sunscreen and 'bronzer'.

    ReplyDelete